Friday, September 30, 2016

Memorial Bench and Farewell

Photo by Brian Zoldak, 2014, used with permisson

Memorial Bench

As I write this final blog post for this cemetery, I realize that this dedication bench is part of the very first cemetery I blogged about in 2006. So, the circle is complete. I think Warren is buried there because there is a headstone. Warren was my cousin and was born in 1901 and died in 1991. His wife is listed as Mabel BOWMAN and they were married in 1930. I don't know if this woman named Margaret is a second wife or not.

While researching this bench, I have discovered that there is a lot of Fish information that I didn't have, listed in the second volume of the Gallup (2009) Genealogy, so I can't put away the books as yet.

This project would not have been possible without the expert photographs of Brian Zoldak and his own research on them. With over 100 gravestones in this cemetery, I knew it would take him a lot of time to photograph them (to his satisfaction) and a couple of years for me to write the blog posts. Thank you Brian.

I will be taking some time off from this blog but I will be back. Fred Burdick has allowed me to use the photos on his CDs and I'd like to put those photos in this blog. First, I must move them because they are on CD and this may be the last computer I own with a CD/DVD drive. I have a USB based portable drive but I don't know how long that will last. Nothing lasts forever.

Farewell to the Gallup Cemetery and a peaceful rest to those who are buried here. I have enjoyed visiting with them and learning about their lives. Thanks for sticking with me, dear readers, and I will write more very soon.

No comments: